Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Writing Your Memoir...

Halie,

I know that this is a tough assignment -- and that whenever you are faced with a writing assignment that is open -- its hard for you to get started. However, I also know that once you get started on something, it usually becomes an incredible piece of writing.

YOU are a FANTASTIC writer. Remember that. The most important thing is to just get started.

I had a great writer friend give me some advice once -- it really helped me. She said that the reason most people don't write is because they never get started -- they don't start because usually what we start with sounds so completely lame that we give up or quit. You have to get past the "lame" beginning -- because if you keep going, eventually the good stuff will start to come out!

So my friend said that she always told herself when beginning a new piece of writing, "this doesn't count -- this is my 'lame' version -- i'll go back and fix it later". She just kept writing and telling herself that it didn't count, that she would fix it later, and eventually she had a great piece of writing on the page!

So you know what? I have tried this strategy and it works. The important thing is to just start writing.


So here is your assignment for Memoir today -- I want you to respond to this post. Write about as many events as you can, or think you might want to compose a memoir about. Make each event a separate comment. For each event, write as much as you can -- set the timer if you want and just write as much as you can about that memory or event. It doesn't even have to make complete sense -- its just a start, thats all -- just a BRAIN DUMP! Authors do that all the time.

I want you to come up with at least THREE brain dumps in response to this post. You've already decided on one -- the Sticker Torture. That can be one -- but come up with two more.

Good Luck!!

Love you,

Mom

No comments: